Fish oil has so many wonderful healthy benefits. Eating omega-3 fish oil or oily fish such as salmon, mackerel and tuna at least two times a week or up to four times a week is truly beneficial to your health.
Here are some great benefits of fish oil:
1. Fish oil prevents heart attack – Dr Alexander Leaf and colleagues at Harvard Medical School found that eating oily fish like salmon or tuna at least twice a week could prevent a heart attack.
2. Fish oil protects against heart disease and stroke – Researchers at Southampton University found that omega-3 fish oil stops the build up of fatty deposits in the arteries, protecting against heart disease and stroke.
3. Fish oil reduces the risk of death from a sudden heart attack – Chief researcher Dr Roberto Martial, from the Consortia Mario Negroid Sod research institute in Santa Maria Embargo, Italy found that one gram daily dose of omega-3 fish oil was enough to significantly reduce the risk of death from a sudden heart attack by 42%.
4. Fish oil prevents mothers from giving birth to very small babies – The University of Bristol research team found that a mother-to-be who eats fish during the later stages of pregnancy is less likely to have a very small baby.
5. Fish oil helps with lupus symptoms – Researchers in Northern Ireland the University of Ulster found that people with the lupus disease who eat tuna, mackerel and similar fish containing omega-3 fish oil reduce their lupus symptoms.
6. Fish oil helps with prostate cancer – The Paterson Institute researchers found that a diet rich in a fat found in oily fish and some seeds may protect men with prostate cancer from developing a more aggressive form.
7. Fish oil reduces the growth of breast cancer – Researchers from Indiana University found that when mixing compounds from omega-3 fatty acids with the anaesthetic propofol, together they appeared to reduce the growth of breast cancer cells.
8. Fish oil reduces inflammation – The researchers from Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital found that a diet high in oily fish like salmon and mackerel may help improve inflammatory conditions such as arthritis; the oily fish diet worked best when combined with low aspirin doses.
9. Fish oil prevents certain symptoms of advanced cancer – Professor Kevin Fearon and colleagues at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary found that oily fish prevents cachexia – the severe wasting and weight loss associated with some types of advanced cancer.
10. Fish oil protects against asthma – The researchers at Cambridge University found that oily fish could protect against asthma.
11. Fish oil betters brain and visual development in children – Bristol University researchers found that a mother-to-be who eats oily fish is more likely to have children with better brain and vision developments.
12. Fish oil helps with chronic fatigue syndrome – Dr Basant Puri and colleagues at Hammersmith Hospital in London found that taking omega-3 fish oil supplements may help to alleviate some of the symptoms associated with the chronic fatigue syndrome.
In conclusion, the benefits of fish oil are tremendous for your health. If you want to lead a healthy life, maybe it’s time for you to start eating oily fish containing omega-3 oils now. For a good health, The Food Standards Agency suggests that we eat oily fish such as salmon, tuna and mackerel or omega-3 fish oil up to four times weekly.